Your driver will meet you at Civitavecchia today to transfer into Rome where you will be met by your expert local guide.
Begin your tour with a visit to the imposing Colosseum. Commissioned by Emperor Vespasian, the stadium could accommodate up to 50,000 spectators who came to view the gladiatorial battles that lasted up to 100 days! Adjacent is the Arc of Constantine which, dating from AD 315, is a forerunner to many other Triumphal Arches around the world. Possibly even more impressive are the excavations of the vast Roman Forum where the remains of temples, streetscapes, palaces and homes can be found.
After lunch, travel across the Tiber River to the Vatican City. Visit the Vatican Museums, part of the Papal Residence which is estimated to contain 1400 rooms, chapels and galleries. The Museums contain an extraordinarily rich collection of precious arts, maps, sculptures and antiquities but surely the most breath-taking masterpiece is Michelangelo's frescoed ceiling in the Sistine Chapel. At the centre of the Vatican lies the vast Basilica of St. Paul, the world’s largest church where the colourfully dressed Swiss Guard can be found. The present Cathedral is a beautiful mix of Renaissance and Baroque architecture, formed under the hands of masters such as Michelangelo. The stunning interior is an elaborate and detailed display of marble, mosaic, gilt and bronze.
Your tour includes express entry to the Vatican Museums, past the regular lines. The Vatican requires visitors to cover upper arms and legs to below the knee.
- Tour some of Rome's most iconic sites including the Colosseum and the Roman Forum
- Explore the impressive museum collections in the Vatican City and the breath-taking masterpiece that is Michelangelo's frescoed ceiling in the Sistine Chapel
- Spend time in the Basilica of St. Paul, the largest church in the world
Tour Duration: 8 hours
Tour can Operate: Morning/Afternoon
Wheelchair Accessible: Please enquire for more information
Physical Activity Level: Light
- Luxury car or minivan at your disposal during the tour
- An expert English-speaking guide in Rome (6 hours)
- Entrance fees to Colosseum, Imperial Forum and Vatican Museums
- All taxes
- All cruise travel, personal items, meals and associated costs